Welcome to my blog



Sunday, August 22, 2010

family

I am thankful for the legacy of hospitality that Grandma and Grandpa have left in their descendants. I dont doubt that I could knock on any one of your doors and be welcomed with open arms.. What a wonderful culture.
Recently, Aunty Ros and Uncle Brian gave up their own holidays to house and feed me and emma and her kids. This was a sacrifice for not only them, but for Charlotte and Charlie. So welcoming and giving. Thank you so much.
But this is the same willing spirit that I have seen from all of you.
When we used to come down from PNG we would camp in the loungerooms of all my Aussie Aunts...
Aunty Nell kept me after my folks went home, and I remember her trepidation after I dyed my hair black with her neighbour... 'are you sure your mother wont mind?' (she said after I had done it!) I think my cheeky reply was 'it wont matter cause Ive done it, easier to say sorry than ask permission' (My poor mother... I love you Mum, God gave me the best blessing when he allowed me to be yours!)
Aunty Trices house was always so wonderful too, so much fun in the pool at the old Springwood house! and getting to play with Micheles girly things, and dance costumes was so much fun! Always a house of raucaus laughter.
Going to Cindys was (is!) magical. I remember thinking that it (Bondi) was paradise, so much freedom... buses to anywhere, great vibe, great conversations... always welcome at Cindys. I remember so many of my boarding school holidays spending 3am nights with you. Drinking Coffee like a grown up and fixing the problems of the world.
And Aunty Karen... you were always so wonderful too. I cant beleive the running around you willingly did to set me up at Lilydale. All the trips to and from the airports at the start and end of every term. Running around to buy me sleeping bags and pick up little treats for me!(now as a parent I can appreciate your sacrifice so much more, you were doing ALL of that plus doing the normal running around for your own kids, and managing it all with SO MUCH STYLE!) I was so proud when you would come to pick me up, my friends would see my beautiful Aunt, and I felt like smugly saying, yep, I'm with her!
Peter and John always made time for us too. I remember hanging out at the wilderness society (Is that the right organisation you worked for John) and being bought lunch at a Cafe.. and loving all the fantastic food! John I admire you so much, I hope my sons can become as admirable men as I think you are.
Same with you Peter, I remember traipsing around town with Meredith and meeting you in the city where you worked (I know it was govt, but too young to absorb the info) You always stop everything your doing when I drop around to see you and Evie (which I know isnt enough!) you make the time for people.
And Jenny, I know without even asking that your door is open to me. and any of the family. Your love for all of us is felt across the miles. One day I am going to camp on your loungeroom floor, as I know many of our relatives have.
My point is.. this hospitality, this warm accepting open home love that you all have, came from Gma and Gpa.. and what a blessing it is.
Thank you all

No comments:

Post a Comment