Welcome to my blog



Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Level Headed Crisis

I have two mottos that I have learnt to live by, in this level-headed-crisis-mode-life of mine. They are simple and silly but they calm my mind, and help me to accept the way things are.

It takes as long as it takes. This is elementary of course. But I say this to myself all day long. When I first started fostering, I found it some what of a culture shock to be suddenly back dealing with nappies, and carseats, and little peoples paces. Me being anxious and trying to get seven people to meet my expected schedule is a little bit unrealistic. So now I set a goal, and as I am finding a RElost sock, REpacking the nappy bag, that someone decided to spill on the floor, and REdoing up seat belts, I say to myself and anyone who can hear me; It Just Takes As Long As It Takes! Yes, I allocate extra time for getting out of the door, but I no longer stress about running late. Late for whom? For me and my family, this happens to be how long it takes. If I become anxious and start barking and rushing, inevidebly, the children end up in tears, I feel like a substandard parent, and we get there at the same time it would have taken me to accept that doing things just take me time!

Just do what you can do and thats enough. Again, it sounds silly, and simple. But I say this to myself all day. I also say it to my support network. I try so hard not to expect anything more from others than what is freely offered. Also, what I am able to offer others is only my energy/emotional leftovers. And guess what? Thats enough! I used to think I had to push myself to give others more and more of me, of my time, and of my support. But I have 7 children, a husband, a homeschool, a household, and a study timetable to maintain... not to mention ME! So, any portion of myself that I am able to offer others IS ENOUGH! It is a sufficient gift. I found it hard to accept this for a long time, and would happily sacrifice in order to gift the best of me away. I now gift the best of me to my family first, and whatever else I can do IS ENOUGH. I love helping out friends with housework. If all I can do is a 15 minute wash up and then leave, isnt that still a gift? Isnt that better than spending a whole day cleaning someone elses home, only to come home and be an emotional wreck because youre own isnt done? I just do, what I CAN do, and that is enough!

Anyway, those are my thoughts for today, and those are my two sayings that keep me level headed each day.

1 comment:

  1. GO you Briohne! That's awesome Darl! I think they are fantastic mottos to live by!

    Love ya,
    Sherelle

    ReplyDelete