Welcome to my blog



Saturday, July 24, 2010

Me? Stuck for words?

So many people say to me "I don't know how you do that" and I am honestly puzzled as to how to reply.
Firstly its not me that does this. Its three wonderful sons, a kind and sensitive husband and me. We are a great team. We work together like the well oiled 15-years-in-the-making-machine that we are. I lean on each one of them heavily at times, and my expectations of them are continually met and exceeded. How lucky and blessed am I?
So I usually say, "its not just me, I have Lee and my boys too"
Then I usually get a comment like, "but you do the bulk of it, I seriously think you're amazing"
That's when I get really uncomfortable. There is nothing amazing about a person that just gets to do something that they love. Isn't everyone amazing? I think that each and every person that wakes up and embraces the day and deals with their set of cards with grace and laughter is amazing. So aren't I just doing what millions of other people do everyday? Please don't give me accolades. I actually think there is an element of selfishness to what I do. I take on all these children, because of MY desires, and expect everyone in my support network to mesh and meld to accomadate my wishes, and these children.
My answer, because of this is usually "I'm not that amazing, I'm just doing what I want to, and besides, no one would turn a child away if they turned up on your doorstep asking for food, shelter and clothing"
Usually I get a nod from the other person who say "true true, but I still think what you're doing is great" and I just giggle, cause I am self concious and embarrassed.
So what should I say, when people say "I couldnt do what you do?" I think that everyone could do it. But we all have different strengths and weaknesses. There are so many things that I couldn't possibly do. Like door to door sales, or NOT having children. So does that make us great for taking on children? I don't think so. I just think it makes us lucky. We have found something that we do well and that gives us purpose and that services our community. And we just do it.
So now thats my answer.
"Everyone does what they do, and their contribution to life is valuable. This is just what we choose to do. Its great and we love it"

No comments:

Post a Comment